If you asked me how we met I would say “She was the one who smiled, who said hello, who made my day.” Sometimes it is tough being the new kid.
Since then she has become my gym buddy, and that in itself is very brave. I am still searching for my strength when it comes to exercise. Weights? Certainly not. Cardio? I would like to think so, but no. Gymnastics? Oh my! Is anyone else this uncoordinated?
While I am collapsing under my weightless bar she tells me I am so strong! When we attempt pull ups and I just swing like a monkey, I hear her voice whisper “you can’t be good at everything!” Needless to say she has made me laugh countless times.
She eats everything I make, even if I have to leave it at her doorstep and then answers happily as I drill her on a cookie. I am sure she must think I am crazy. She replies to my 6am text messages about what shoes I should wear to the gym or my lousy nights sleep. She shares my recipes with everyone, chats to me when my household falls asleep at 8pm and even lets me borrow her runners!
Life has been better since she came along and I hope this fabulous friend, beautiful Mother and truly awesome gym buddy knows just how great I think she is!
Lemon and Macadamia Slice
- 12 medjool dates
- 2 1/2 cups desiccated coconut
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups macadamias
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- zest and juice of one lemon
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, liquid
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Line a 20cm square cake tin with baking paper hanging over the sides for easy removal.
- Place the base ingredients into your processor and blend until the mixture resembles a fine, sticky crumb. Press the mixture firmly into the base of your prepared tin.
- Place the macadamias into your processor and blend until they form a smooth paste. Add in the remaining ingredients and blend until the mixture is smooth. Pour the mixture over the base, level the top and place in the fridge or freezer to set.
- Slice. Serve. Eat and enjoy.