Sitting with my Mum, helping her find a jumper, a handbag or a pair of trousers online, this is what I miss.
Sitting with my Grandma, having the many memories that we created fill the silence, this is what I miss.
Creating treats for the family that raised me, this is what I miss.
Doing all that is familiar right down to my core.
Doing all that I have always done.
Sharing all that I had with my kids.
This is what I miss.
- 10 medjool dates, seeds removed
- 20 dried apricots
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon concentrated natural vanilla extract
- 2 cups puffed rice*
- 100 grams dark chocolate, roughly broken (optional)**
- Place the dates and apricots into your food processor and blend at high speed until they are completely broken down, well combined and sticky.
- Add the coconut and vanilla and quickly combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- Use your hands to work the puffed rice into the mixture.
- Press the mixture firmly into a loaf tin lined with baking paper over hanging the sides for easy removal. Mine measures 19.5cm x 9.5cm.
- Place the slice into the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight to set.
- Once the slice has set gently melt the chocolate in a small bowl.
- Remove the slice from the fridge and cut it into squares. I made 18.
- Use a teaspoon to lower each square into the melted chocolate. Turn to coat both sides.
- Once coated sit the chocolates onto a tray or container lined with baking paper and return to the fridge to set the chocolate.
- Serve. Eat. Enjoy.
*to make these grain free you can replace the puffed rice with puffed quinoa.
**you can omit the chocolate or you can whip up a homemade chocolate such as this one and spread it over the top of the slice if you prefer.