I run and he stands still. I jump from thought to thought and he remains focused. I juggle my load and he completes one task at a time. I am impulsive and he is deliberate. I am impatient and he is content. My mind is scattered and his is clear.
Let’s not mention this to him, but I am a tad envious of his traits. Sometimes it would be nice to slow down this racing mind, to calm this hyped up body. But I have, over the years, learned to love and live with the hand that I was dealt. It does have advantages.
Today, for instance, I needed to bring-a-plate, now. Not in a few hours, not tomorrow, now.
I raided my cupboards and whipped up this Salted Caramel Slice. I popped it in the fridge while I raced through the shower. Disaster deliciously averted. Sometimes speedy isn’t such a bad thing.
Of course, he would argue that he wouldn’t have forgotten ‘the plate’ in the first place. That he would have been organised.
Let’s not worry about the finer details, when put on the spot it is speedy minds and speedy treats that just might get you across the line.
Salted Caramel Slice
- 1 and 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 10 medjool dates, seeds removed
- 1/2 teaspoon concentrated natural vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup almond butter*
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons coconut flour, sifted
- Line a square 20cm tin with baking paper overhanging the sides for easy removal.
- Place the base ingredients into your processor and blend at high speed until the mixture resembles a sticky crumb. Press the mixture firmly into your prepared tin and place it in the fridge to set.
- Place the topping ingredients into your processor and blend until the ingredients are combined. Spread the topping mixture over your base and sprinkle or grind lightly with salt.
- Place the slice into the fridge to firm up a little.
- Serve. Eat. Enjoy!
*almond butter is readily available in the health section of the supermarket and at health food stores. You can also make your own, here is our recipe.