When I discovered and recreated this recipe from the Origin LPG Winter warmer recipes collection I also stumbled across a delicious looking Salted Caramel and Vanilla Ice Cream.
As many of you know the little one inside me is loving snuggling up in a blanket and tucking into a bowl of ice cream despite the freezing temperatures outside.
This winter warming, fully indulgent, salted caramel dessert wouldn’t leave my mind! It seemed like a perfect treat for my little family to tuck into on a lazy Saturday night. I had to recreate it, Wholefood Simply style. I not only wanted to use my typical ingredients, I also wanted to keep it easy without compromising on deliciousness.
So here it is. Our divine Salted Caramel and Coconut Ice Cream; as inspired by Origin LPG. The people keeping me warm when my back yard looks like this.
Salted Caramel and Coconut Ice Cream
the ice cream
- 1 270ml tin of coconut cream that has been stored in the fridge
- 3 tablespoons almond butter
- 5 medjool dates, seeds removed
- 1/2 teaspoon concentrated natural vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon honey*
- pinch of salt
- Lets start with the extras.
- Heat a small frypan over medium – low heat.
- Add the walnuts and salt to the frypan and toast, stirring frequently, until fragrant, approximately 3 – 4 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the honey. Mix until the walnuts are well coated. Set aside or do the following as your walnuts are toasting.
- Place the ice cream ingredients into your food processor and blend at high speed until the dates are broken down and the mixture is well combined.
- Add the walnut mixture to the ice cream mixture and quickly pulse to roughly crush and combine the nuts.
- Pour the ice cream mixture into a square sandwich sized container and freeze for three hours.
- Serve. Eat. Enjoy!
*you can use rice malt syrup if you prefer.