Multiple times a day my son comes up to me and takes my hand. He says “I show you Mum”. His voice is gentle and his look is filled with love and anticipation. I get the sense he feels as though he has found a new way of communicating with me, that through showing me his little discoveries we again connect. He feels, I am sure, that each of these discoveries makes me proud of him. If only he knew that I am always proud, that I don’t need to see the spider, or the fly, or him standing on a pillow. I just look at him and I feel proud.
Each time he takes my hand, each time I hear those gentle words or see that loving expression my heart melts. It truly does. I feel like it melts and runs all through my body, warming me from the inside out.
He has my hand before his words come out, before I can say “Just wait a minute” or “Let Mummy finish this”. Before I can think, I am walking along behind him.
I hope his hand never grows too big for mine. I hope he can always see the fun in standing on one leg and be fascinated by watching an insect. I hope I can always take a minute to revel in whatever it is that matters to him.
One Minute Slice
- 6 tablespoons peanut butter*
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, liquefied
- 3 tablespoons honey**
- 2 tablespoons cacao or cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon concentrated natural vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup cashews, crushed (I placed them in snap lock bag and crushed them with my rolling pin)
- Place all ingredients except for the cashews into a medium sized bowl and mix until it is well combined and looking deliciously chocolatey. Stir in the cashews. Pour the mixture into a silicon loaf tin or mini silicon muffin moulds. Place in the fridge or freezer to set and to store.
- Eat and enjoy.
*you can sub the peanut butter with almond butter if you prefer.
**you can use rice malt syrup if you prefer.