I woke this morning and I felt like I was trembling from the inside out.
I showered and tears fell with the water as I remembered being at this point in my last pregnancy. I recalled the excitement I had been feeling leading up to this day and the pure, raw pain I felt when I heard the silence of my baby’s unbeating heart.
I turned off the water. I dried my body and my eyes. I told myself that everything was going to be fine, that I have known since I saw those two pink lines that you would come home. That I’m still sick, still exhausted and still growing and that they are all signs that suggest you are ok.
My husband, myself and the two kids piled into the car and headed to the city.
I rambled the entire way. Filling my husbands ears with childhood memories, scattered thoughts and anything to keep the anxiety away.
The lovely lady who we are blessed to have doing our scans called me in. Within minutes I heard the dulcet tone of your beating heart. I saw your moving hands and your kicking feet.
I felt like the luckiest women alive.
My precious little one, that is how you consistently make me feel, like I am the luckiest person to walk this earth to have you growing inside me. To have our hearts beating as one.
Kick on my Poppy Seed.
Layered Berry Cake
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon honey*
- Place the ingredients into your food processor and blend at high speed until the mixture resembles a sticky crumb.
- Press the mixture firmly into the base of an 18cm spring form pan.
- Place in the freezer.
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 2 cups full fat coconut cream
- 4 tablespoons honey*
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of concentrated natural vanilla extract
- Place the ingredients into your food processor and blend at high speed until the mixture is smooth.
- Divide the mixture evenly between three bowls.
- Blend the first bowl of mixture with –
- 125 grams raspberries
- Pour this raspberry layer over your base and place it into the freezer.
- After 20 minutes mix a second bowl of the mixture with –
- 125 grams blueberries
- Pour this over the raspberry layer and return to the freezer.
- Give this layer a further 20 minutes to firm up and then finish the cake with the final coconut layer. Add this layer exactly as it is.
- I set my cake in the freezer overnight as I didn’t need it until the next day. I then transferred the cake to the fridge four hours prior to serving.
- If you want to serve the cake the day it is made leave it in the freezer for 4 – 6 hours to set.
- You can also slice the cake once it has had 4 – 6 hours in the freezer to set and return the individual serves to the freezer. Remove the single serves from the freezer and keep them at room temperature for around ten minutes before serving.
*you can use rice malt syrup or maple syrup if you prefer