Healthy Christmas Cake
- zest and juice of one orange
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup currants
- 1 cup cranberries
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 3 cups almond meal
- 2 small, ripe bananas (the flesh of mine weighed 200 grams)
- 10 Natural Delight Medjool Dates, seeds removed
- 2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon concentrated natural vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 175°C or 350°F. Grease a 18cm round cake tin. I used my spring form pan, if you are using a cake tin I would line it also.
- Place the zest, juice, raisins, currants, cranberries and almonds into a medium sized saucepan. Heat until the juice starts to boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover. Simmer for 5 – 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the almond meal, banana, dates, spices, vanilla and salt into your processor. Blend at high speed until the mixture resembles a smooth, thick batter. Stir through the raisin mixture. Spoon the cake mix into your prepared tin and use damp hands to smooth over the top of the cake.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Cover with foil and bake for a further 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool in the tin for 30 minutes. If you are using a spring form pan remove the sides and allow the cake to cool completely.
- I store this in the fridge and while it is great eaten the day it is made, I prefer it the next day and the day after that.
- I serve this cake upside down, once cooked and slightly cooled I flip it onto a cooling rack and make the bottom the top.
Natural Delights Medjool Dates are fresh and sweet and oh so delicious! Best of all they are readily available from Coles supermarkets and selected Fruit and Vegetable stores. I created this recipe and many more of my favourites for the amazing people at Natural Delights. I have been using and recommending their product for years and I am proud and excited to now be a part of their team.