Healthy Christmas Cake
- zest and juice of one orange
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup currants
- 1 cup cranberries
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 3 cups almond meal
- 2 small, ripe bananas (the flesh of mine weighed 200 grams)
- 10 medjool dates, seeds removed
- 2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon concentrated natural vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 175°C or 350°F. Grease a 18cm round cake tin. I used my spring form pan, if you are using a cake tin I would line it also.
- Place the zest, juice, raisins, currants, cranberries and almonds into a medium sized saucepan. Heat until the juice starts to boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover. Simmer for 5 – 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the almond meal, banana, dates, spices, vanilla and salt into your processor. Blend at high speed until the mixture resembles a smooth, thick batter. Stir through the raisin mixture. Spoon the cake mix into your prepared tin and use damp hands to smooth over the top of the cake.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Cover with foil and bake for a further 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool in the tin for 30 minutes. If you are using a spring form pan remove the sides and allow the cake to cool completely.
- I store this in the fridge and while it is great eaten the day it is made, I prefer it the next day and the day after that.
- I serve this cake upside down, once cooked and slightly cooled I flip it onto a cooling rack and make the bottom the top.
If you are enjoying the recipes be sure to check out the books. I hope you find something you love. With thanks, B x