Do you remember when I sat on your bench, eating the mixture off the wooden spoon and the cookie dough you left in the yellow bowl as our Anzacs baked in the oven?
If only I realised then that they were the very best of times.
That 25 years later I would be sitting on my couch with the weight of the world on my shoulders and wishing I was there.
Wishing I soaked up the simplicity of those perfect moments.
Wishing I could feel your unconditional love.
Wishing I could be as present now as I was then.
Wishing I was gentler on myself and that my load felt lighter.
Wishing I never had to grow up and feeling that I’m just not made for this adult world.
But rather, I was made like you.
We thrive in our homes, with our little ones at our feet and a mixing bowl in our hands.
But times have changed and unlike you I can’t keep the outside world away.
I can’t hide or escape and on days like today I find myself thinking that I just can’t do it without you.
So I make Anzacs and I take my mind back to being that little girl who sat on your bench. I cry. I think about who you were and what you taught me and I know that somehow, someway, those very things will make everything right. That yet again it will be your love and your lessons that fix me.
Grain Free Anzacs
you will find our ever popular, traditional style Anzacs here
- 3 cups desiccated coconut
- 1 tablespoon honey*
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 5 medjool dates, seeds removed
- 2 teaspoon hot water
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarb soda (baking soda)
- Preheat your oven to 175°C or 350°F
- Line a tray with baking paper.
- Place the ingredients except for the water and bicarb into your food processor and pulse to break down the dates and coconut and to combine the ingredients.
- Mix the water and bicarb in a small cup and add to the Anzac mixture.
- Pulse again until the mixture is completely broken down, well combined and sticking together.
- Press and shape the mixture into balls and place them on your tray. Use your fingers to slightly flatten the tops of the balls.
- Bake for 8 – 10 minutes, turning the tray half way during the cooking time.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack and cooling completely.
*you can use rice malt syrup if you prefer