I lit a candle, because that is what I was taught to do.
I took a moment to think about the man you were. I took a moment to give thanks for the rich and fulfilling life you lived and for the Son that you shaped and shared with me.
I took a moment to think of my Husband. Of the relentless, inconsolable emptiness that now consumes him. Of the pain in his heart that he cannot shake.
I took a moment to think of my Mother in law. Of how feeble my words must seem. How inadequate my actions. I cannot imagine how life is for her right now, I do not want to.
I took a moment to wish them both peace, to wish them happiness, to wish them a smooth road ahead.
I took a moment to thank you for blessing our lives.
Crusted Salmon with Spring Salad
- 500 grams skinless salmon fillets, boned, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/3 cup raw macadamias
- 1/3 cup natural pistachios
- zest of one lemon
- Place the crumb ingredients into your food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles a fine crumb.
- Place the salmon pieces into a medium sized bowl. Sprinkle over half of the crumb mixture. Use your hands to mix and press the crumb to the salmon until the fish is well coated. Add the remaining crumb mixture and repeat.
- Line a tray with baking paper and heat your grill to medium high.
- Spread the salmon pieces in an even layer over the tray.
- Grill for 3 – 4 minutes or until the crumb is turning golden and the salmon is cooking through. Turn and repeat. Remove from the oven.
- 1 bunch asparagus, halved and the thicker bottom end halved again lengthways
- 1 large handful snow peas, sliced in half lengthways
- 1 cup peas (frozen is fine)
- extras for serving
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- One quarter fill a medium sized saucepan with water. Bring to the boil. Add the peas, return to the boil. Add the remaining vegetables. Return to the boil. Cover. Reduce to simmer. Cook for 1- 2 minutes and strain. Serve with the salmon. Drizzle the dish with the olive oil and lemon juice. Season to taste.
- I prepare the veggies before I start grilling the salmon. I then cook the veggies on the stove as the salmon grills. 10 minutes and dinner is served. Enjoy!