I was asked the other day what my husband was like when we first got together.
It was nice to take my mind back to that place and to that man.
We were friends before we were a couple and it is the same attributes that made me like him that made me love him.
In a nutshell he made me laugh.
Over the years he has gone on to do much more than that. He has grounded me, held me up and held my hand. He has been there when I felt I had no-one. He has been the voice of reason when all I could hear was emotion. He has had my back and taken one for the team on countless occasions.
But still, what I love the most about him is when he makes me laugh.
It’s fair to say that he is not as jovial as he once was. It’s fair to say that life has worn him down. The stress of raising a family, working long days, going through cancer and IVF, losing our baby and his father and paying off mortgages and cars have taken their toll.
But still there are moments when his innate wit, his humour that is lost on many, shines through and every time it happens I fall in love all over again.
I hope he knows how much it means to me when, even on the days when he has nothing and he is running on empty, he gives me something. Be it a one line email, a comment at dinner or an off handed remark as we chat on the phone. Every time he makes me laugh it lightens my load, it warms my heart and it gives me a sense of all being well in the world.
I hope he continues to make me laugh for many more years to come.
Caramel Choc Chip Bliss Balls
- 1 cup dry roasted almonds*
- 1 cup dry roasted cashews*
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 50 grams 90% dark chocolate, finely chopped
- Place the almonds and cashews into your processor and blend at high speed until the mixture resembles a fine crumb. Add the maple syrup, salt and vanilla and blend until the mixture is well combined and sticking together. Mix through the chocolate chips.
- Use your hands to press and shape the mixture into balls. Place the balls into the fridge to set.
- Eat and enjoy!
*dry roasted nuts are readily available from the supermarket.
notes – I made 12.