How beautiful you are. No longer a baby, not yet an adult. Just my girl. Not my little girl and not my big girl. It’s a confusing place to be.
You are as gorgeous as ever. We sit together at night, top and tail on the couch. Your brother is in bed and your father is working. We read. We chat. It’s a time of day that we both love.
But there is more to the delightful, caring girl that you have always been.
You have realised that you do have a bit of control and a bit of influence over everyone else’s day. You have realised that you can say no, stomp your feet and defy your parents and the world will tick on, we will simply have to deal with it.
Your mind never stops. Every day is jam packed with learning and experiencing, of trying to decipher and make sense of it all. Every day you are finding who you are and where everyone else fits. Everyday is filled with adventures and frustrations.
It is a time that we all need to love and be patient. It is a time that we need to soak up the beauty that makes you, YOU.
It is a time where we need to talk about our family rules, to remember to be kind to each other and to help each other grow.
It is a time to hold you a little tighter and to take that extra minute to listen to your story.
Each night before I kiss you I brush the hair from your forehead. Your face is so close to mine and you are smiling. I stop you there and I look at every one of your perfectly placed freckles. I see the youth in your expression, in your skin and in your lips. I know how quickly these features will change. No matter how many photos I take I cannot hold onto them. With every fading freckle my baby girl is a step closer to independence.
I hold my breath, I close my eyes and I hope that they don’t fade too soon.
Happy birthday my Exquisite Princess, the girl who brought the brightest of colours into my days.
Happy birthday my intelligent friend, the girl who teaches me more than I imagined I could know.
Happy birthday my beautiful girl, the perfect daughter for me.
Loving you always,
4 Ingredient Coconut Cake
- 4 cups of desiccated coconut or 1 cup of coconut butter
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 4 eggs
- 4 rounded tablespoons honey*
- Preheat your oven to 175°C or 350°F
- Grease and line a loaf tin with baking paper over hanging the sides for easy removal. Mine measures 19cm x 9 cm.
- Place the coconut into your processor and blend at high speed until it starts to form a smooth paste.
- Add the remaining ingredients and gently mix to combine.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared tin.
- Bake for 55 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin. Place in the fridge overnight to set completely.
- Slice. Serve. Enjoy.
* you can use rice malt syrup if you prefer