- 1 and 1/2 cups desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 10 medjool dates, seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons cacao or cocoa
- 1 tablespoon full fat coconut cream*
- 1 and 1/2 cup cashews (I cover these with water and soak them while I get out the other ingredients and make base)
- 1 cup full fat coconut cream*
- 4 tablespoons honey**
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon concentrated natural vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- The first thing I do is cover the 1 and 1/2 cups of cashews for the topping with water. I set that aside to soak while I gather my ingredients and start the base.
- Place the base ingredients into your food processor and blend at high speed until the mixture resembles a fine crumb. Press the mixture firmly into the base of a spring form pan. Mine is 18cm.
- Place in the fridge to set while you make the topping.
- Drain the cashews that have been soaking and place them into your food processor. Add 1 tablespoon of the coconut cream and blend at high speed. Add another tablespoon of the coconut cream, scrape the mixture back onto the blades and pulse again. You want to get this as smooth as possible. I typically add another tablespoon of the cream and give it one more pulse before moving on to the next step.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend until the mixture is smooth and well combined. Pour the mixture onto your base and place in the freezer for 4 – 6 hours to set.
- You can serve it at this point or slice into serving and return to the freezer.
- You can also make this cake in advance and simply remove it from the freezer around 20 – 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
*I buy the 270ml tin. I use one tablespoon in the base and the remainder in the topping
**You can use rice malt syrup if you prefer.