If I had to pick our families favourite recipe today, in the middle of winter, I would choose this.
I would pick it because I have my little girl beside me, popping the ingredients into the processor, while my son eats dates at my feet. I distract the two of them as the crumble cooks and then say ‘not just yet’ countless times as they excitedly wait for it to cool. When I can hold them off no longer we all sit on the floor with a spoon in hand and tuck in. I can hear my husband entering the room, looking at us, gobsmacked, saying in a very serious voice ‘what is going on here’ and my daughter will giggle and tease that there is none for him. He will fill his own bowl and join us on the kitchen floor, laughing, eating, sharing.
Right now I can picture this vividly. It is a scene I know well. But in a year’s time my son will be big enough to sit at the table; my daughter will be off at sporting events, my husband, me, who knows? What I do know is that life changes constantly, sometimes more rapidly or drastically than we would like. Sometimes subtly, with us barely noticing. If only we could capture the precious, everyday moments? The little things you feel so sure you will never forget and then something happens, times passes and suddenly it isn’t quite so clear.
Quick And Easy Apple Crumble
- 1 cup of walnuts
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon honey*
- pinch of salt
- 4 apples, cored and quartered**
- 4 medjool dates, seeds removed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 175°C or 350°F.
- Pulse the crumble ingredients in your processor and blend until the mixture resembles a well textured crumb. Pour the mixture into a bowl and set aside.
- Place the apple ingredients into your processor and blend until the mixture is finely chopped, but not to fine 😉 Spoon the apple mixture into a baking dish and top with the crumble mixture, bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden.
- Serve. Eat. Enjoy.
*you can use rice malt syrup if you prefer.
**I typically use Pink Lady apples.
notes – this is perfect hot or cold and for breakfast or dessert.