These Coconut Macaroons are an all-occasions recipe. I turn to these simple little delicacies when:
- I am short on time and want something delicious
- It is school holidays or a raining, wintery day and we want some simple, instant, kitchen fun
- I want to give an impromptu gift
- I completely forgot that I need to take a plate, I have 1 hour and very few ingredients!
- My five year old wants to cook
- A friend needs cheering up
One batch of vanilla and one batch of chocolate ensures everyone is happy. Gather your three primary ingredients, pick your flavour, and put half an hour aside; it is time to meet our incredibly easy, super quick, and truly delicious Coconut Macaroons.
Coconut Macaroons Two Ways
1 and 1/2 cups desiccated coconut
2 egg whites
2 rounded tablespoons of honey
1 teaspoon of vanilla or 1 tablespoon of cacao or cocoa or carob
Preheat your oven to 175 degrees Celsius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Place your ingredients into a medium sized bowl in the order listed above, mixing as you go along until well combined. Squeeze mixture firmly into biscuit sized balls. Place on a lined cookie tray. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool completely before touching. Enjoy!
I made these today. I prepared the mixture and popped it in the fridge for 30 minutes while I took my daughter to school, when I returned home I pressed the mixture firmly into balls and baked as normal. I suspect the time in the fridge may of helped with the vanilla macaroons which can sometimes be a little crumbly.